Thursday, August 5, 2010

Surgery day....then more to come

This morning we woke up at 5 am. At the hospital before 6...with all the kid in tow. It actually went very smoothly! The kids all slept in the clothes that they were going to wear today and I got sippy cups and diaper bag...or should I say, the big gym bag filled with an extra change of clothes for the younger kids, diapers, wipes, coloring books, art stuff (thanks Tammy), homework and snacks. And we were on our way. We had to wait in the waiting room for a short time which was fine because we took up the whole one area of the waiting room that housed the toys and T.V. *yay us!
They called us back and the older kids did awesome watching the younger kids (those of you that think the Duggars suck...I have to tell you, having a large family helps teach the kids to be responsible for others...its not giving up a childhood helping out watching a younger sibling, it a very loving and caring pre-teen responsibility that my older kids actually love to take on. It actually makes them feel more grown up and independent)...soooo anyways, Tony and I went in with Kenny and hung out with him until his scheduled surgery time 7:30. At that point, they took him back and then we waited. and waited. and waited.
Finally at 8:45 they called us back and said that he was going into recovery. I went back to recovery while Tony waited in the waiting room with the kids (who were getting tired and fussy at this time). I sat with him for quite a while and then I went to switch places with Tony so he could spend time with Kenny in recovery. I went out there and the kids (and Tony) were exhausted. I told Tony to just take the kids home and I'd stay with Kenny. And this is what a feeding tube looks like....So that is what happened on the day of his surgery. He came through with flying colors, but in A LOT of pain.
Been at the hospital with Kenny this whole time while Tony has been holding down the fort with all the kids. I will update you all with with what these last couple of days have been like. Lots of ups and downs. But for now, going back to the hospital to be with our little miracle. I honestly didn't realize how intense this surgery really was...it was major surgery, not just a simple procedure. We've had our share of emotional breakdowns within the last few days but feel very confident that we can and will handle this! Thank you all so very much for your love, well wishes, prayers and support through all of this. It means the world to us and our kids. A million thanks.
So...TO BE CONTINUED...





No comments: