Thursday, June 7, 2012

The trilogy of life...

Another school year over and done with. A long needed break from waking up early, getting six kids up, dressed, fed and out the door. Homework assignments done and is a thing of the past...that is, at least for the next 2 months. Not only is it a break from the craziness of everything school, but it's a good break to chill, relax and enjoy the kids...they are growing up so fast!
We finally experienced the first of many graduations from middle school to high school. The emotions that I have been feeling range from "where has the time gone" shock, to my first born..."I remember his first day of school" sadness. Being such a small, close knit family type of school, the kids and parents are like extend family. watching them walk and get their certificates of graduation to ninth grade...well...it's just so surreal. Hearing all the different high schools being called out after their names...brought a tear to my eyes. Thinking of the futures that are in store for them...I wish only the best of life, good health, happy and exciting moments and strength to be the best that they can be.
It's another chapter starting and I am excited and scared to read the next page...I guess that comes with age, because being young means being worry and care free. It's time where these teens start experiencing the moments that will make up their future. First dates, what classes and extra curricular activities they will pick in high school. What new friends they will make...it's like a new start for them. My high school days were the best! I was no longer considered a "nerd". I met new and lifelong friends (thanks to Facebook for some reconnections). I knew what I wanted to do and be...yeah, it didn't quite turn out the way I planned (brother dying, meeting someone unplanned that stole my heart, head on car accident, and oh... lots and lots of kids), but at least I had a plan. I was going to be an artist, a painter, an interior designer...I was going places! Now I have new plans...I'm always planning, that's how I roll (lol). My life and the way it has played out, has taken me to new ideas and interests. I'm an advocate for prematurity and special needs, I love to cook and bake for people, and I plan on going back to school as soon as Kenny and Gina are in school full time. I will show my kids that it's not too late to finish college...and that college is very important.
My oldest son...I remember his first day of school and every day since. I have bags and boxes of random school and artwork he would bring home. Some unable to part with but I think it's because I don't want to part with the fact that he is no longer a small child that I can kiss his boo boo and everything would be alright. He is almost fifteen and has to experience life. Has to experience accomplishments, hurt, hard work, dignity, failure and responsibility...life. Everything that will make him a well rounded, wonderful and loving adult.
I guess I will hold my breath and turn the page of life. Oh how the anxiety is building. Teehee

No comments: