Saturday, May 28, 2016

Just Yesterday...

How is it possible that you are graduating high school?

Wasn't it just yesterday that I graduated high school? Said goodbye to all my close friends and the life I knew best...8 hours of school...

Wasn't it just yesterday that I slowly found my way into this thing they call...adulthood? Lots of college classes, new friends, staying up and out late at the clubs, finding a real job...like...not in retail or fast food...like...actual adulthood job...

Wasn't it just yesterday that I peed on a stick and was excited and scared at the same time at what was about to become my new life...taking care of a new life? 

Wasn't it yesterday that I learned what it was to be a mom for the first time. Changing diapers, cleaning up spit-up...and dealing with your colic? Where dad and I tag teamed late night (all nighters) rocking you to console you from crying...listening to Chicago...over and over again. God, I can relive every moment of that time just by listening to their songs.
Wasn't it just yesterday that you took your first steps, recited every baseball players name that was on the Indians in 1998...and we had people looking at us like you were a freak of nature, because there was no way a 10 month old could actually be talking this well...let alone recite a whole baseball team!

Wasn't it just yesterday that you went crazy over your new siblings...one by one.
Wasn't it just yesterday that you started kindergarten. I remember crying a little bit because my first born was going off to school...just starting your school years. Making sure your shirt was perfectly tucked into your pants because if there was a little bit of bunching...you'd flip out. I had to make sure your belt wasnt fastened too tight, the seam on your socks weren't irritating your feet, and your hair had to be just right...

Wasn't it just yesterday that I got sooo irritated with you for wanting a sippy cup of strawberry milk or Sunny D late at night, when I was so exhausted from taking care of your little sister, but got it for you anyhow...and how you looked at me with a smile...and your eyes crinkled up as you said, "thanks momma, I love you".
Wasn't it Just yesterday that you loved Boy Scouts, Monster Trucks, Skateboarding at Chenga, playing computer games (Nancy Drew, Freddy Fish, Lego)?
Wasn't it just yesterday that you had your 8th grade clap out? I was so excited for you...yet nervous for you to be going into high school.
Wasn't it just yesterday that you cried and didnt want to be in marching band...yet I knew...I just knew that you had something special with your self taught talent on the drums...I just knew you'd love it.

These last 4 years we've been blessed with sharing your high school years with you. The band events, the dances, the prom...
We've watched you transform from a boy to a young man right before our very eyes.
 
Wasn't it just yesterday that all these memories have been filling my head. How proud dad and I are of you that you will be graduating high school and starting your adult life. 
I'm not going to lie when I say that the road we took raising you wasn't rough...it still is. You are very much like the best and worst of both dad and I...but know that we love you, care for you and want the Now all the yesterday memories are flooding in and my...our oldest child...our first born, will be graduating high school. There are too many emotions that come with this feat...happy, excited, proud, scared, nervous...and yet a little sad because that I wish I could go back in time and change many things (being a parent isnt a very easy job...with no "how to" manual)...Yet I know, that because of the yesterdays, you are you today...and for that, I am proud of you and feel a sort of accomplishment as a parent. 

I cant wait to see what the next 18 years of tomorrows brings. 

I...we love you




No comments: