Sunday, October 11, 2015

First attempt at paper mache halloween decorations



This year, I decided to try everything once...get your head out of the gutter...I'm talking crafts, house projects, gardening...things like that! Now...you all remember that I am a thrifty shopper AND I LOVE Halloween. I clip coupons and try to find the best bargains...I mean, with this size family, I have to do something! ha-ha...anyhow, I bought tons of Halloween decorations last year after Halloween, at the different stores...all for 75-90% off...




I thought to myself....with all this store bought decorations, I might as well make a few more bigger things to go with all this...so I did (with the help from my hubby...yeah, we work great as a team)!
I first went on Pinterest and found what I really wanted to make. Something towering and scary to put in our yard...a "main object" to work from...
THIS was it!!! I wanted this guy!
my hubby and I put our artistic brains into motion and this is what we were doing...

 
we used a lot of 1x2" and old wood from a junky bunk bed. Screwed them together and started to wrap some disposable bed pads (the extras from Kenny's supplies we get) and duct tape...lots and lots of duct tape. For the fingers, shoulders and ribs...we used rolled up newspaper and more duct tape. our finished product...

We spray painted the whole thing with a flat black and brown and added the mesh stuff you can get at the dollar store in the Halloween section.
All we needed was a head. Hmmm....
I looked and looked and couldn't find anything that would go with this great creature from beyond...sooooo...
You tube was my best friend. I ended up deciding to make a HUGE A$$ scary Pumpkin Rot head out of paper mache.
It was a looooong process that has taken over a week to work on...and it cost? not as much as I thought, but it used A LOT of glue.
I started off with garbage bags filled with newspaper. I tied the bag up with twine to make the shape of the pumpkin. I then ripped up more newspaper (taking off all the straight edges) and started to apply the wet paper.

Allowing them to dry daily...I applied 6-7 layers of paper...this is what took the longest.
after this, I then started with the stems. I used paper rolled up and duct tape...

Lots of twisting and taping...and adding more and more I came up with stems that I liked.
I then paper mached the stems to cover the duct tape (paint doesn't stick very well to the tape).

I then made a mixture of shredded cheap toilet paper soaked in water. I put it in my food processer to make it into pulp. Put it in a large towel (outside of course) and folded the towel over it and rung out all the water. I then mixed glue and joint compound in with it and made paper clay...so I can add all the details.
I let all that dry over night with a fan...and then I added a layer of brown paper towel paper mache to cover the whole pumpkins...we'll call it their skin!


I guess I could have left them to be at this point...but they wouldn't be waterproof. I wanted to make them even creepier...and stronger...
I covered them inside and out, with blacktop filler and sealer.

They may not look as cool as they did with just the "skin"...but wait till they are complete!
I will be spray painting the insides with neon orange and neon green...then dry brushing layer after layer of oranges, browns greens and a hint of blue (for veins).
The bigger one will be going on the big creepy guy we made, and the smaller one will be a scary scarecrow...like this
 
So this is what my Halloween project is this year in hopes that I will have "that house" that will make people look at the details of Halloween!
 
...you know...because...I have nothing else to be doing with 7 kids one being special needs.
 
 
...TO BE CONTINUED with more steps



1 comment:

Images Animated Gifs Free HTML said...

A beautiful sunday and relaxing to you!