Monday, March 18, 2013

Oh boy did we hit a milestone!

Having a child with special needs, milestones come as a huge welcomed step, especially if they have global delays. So as I am grateful to the Heavens and back that my son has slowly but surely reached milestones that we never thought he'd reach, there is one that he has finally reached...and it only took...almost 6-ish years...the milestone? The terrible twos (cue in I've horror sounds)
Since we all know that us moms have learned to take a quick bathroom break every now and again, especially us "older, seasoned" moms because the bladder you once had as a twenty-something year old has fallen ever so slightly after having kids...let alone 8 kids and 16 pregnancies in my personal experience...yeah...no comment from the peanut gallery....and no, I do not need Depends..yet.
Anyhow, stepping away from my personal bathroom break talk...
I got Kenny and Gina their lunch. They both wanted Ramen noodles cut up small...again, no comment on what I feed my kids, at least it's something that my tube fed son actually eats. I made them their bowls, told them to sit at the dining room table, told them that I had to go to the bathroom and I'd be right back. 30 seconds...ok...40 seconds it took me to go. I come downstairs to find what looked like a food fight had taken place...or...the noodle monster left a trail of his own..everywhere! On the couch, the floor, the tv, the computer...even in the kitchen! I asked Gina what happened and she shrugged her shoulders and said Kenny did it. Soooo, I looked at Kenny and he has his bowl, which is now almost completely empty, and is laughing...then he dumps the rest right on the living room floor! Oh dear god help me with this one. My house looked like it was struck by a tornado made of noodles, and my son who is going to be six but has the mentality of a much younger kid, just did this. It wasn't right...it was totally wrong. So I grabbed his hands and told him no and had him (and his accomplice, Gina) vacuum up the noodles. My poor vacuum is now filled with noodles. oh how I wish we had a dog again.
Part of me was so ticked off inside that they...he did this, but another part of me was this giddy little girl who was throwing a party inside because my son actually hit another milestone...a terrible one at that...but he reached another developmental step. And to that, I am so grateful. Having him makes me realize that even though I am totally exhausted (mentally, emotionally and physically), I am so glad to see him meet milestones. I hope and pray they never stop coming...good and bad ones (well, ok..the bad ones can stay away for as long as they can) because when that happens, my dreams for him ends.
So carry on noodle throwing, car lining, junk drawer emptying (and sorting into piles (yes, he does that too), doll carrying, little boy of mine, want to remember every thing you do that makes me smile and also irritates me...it means you're growing!

No comments: